YMCA’S DIABETES PREVENTION PROGRAM
The Y is part of a new health care delivery system that values prevention efforts offered in a community setting and the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program is an example of this work, helping participants make positive behavior changes, including healthier eating and increasing physical activity, to reduce their risk for developing type 2 diabetes.
WHAT IS PREDIABETES?
DO YOU QUALIFY?
- Have never been diagnosed with type 1 or type 2 diabetes.
- Be 18 years or older.
- Be overweight (BMI ≥ 25)*, and
- Be diagnosed with prediabetes via one of the following:
- An A1C value between 5.7% – 6.4%
- A Fasting Blood Glucose test result between 100-125 mg/dL
- 2-Hour (75 gm glucola) Plasma Glucose between 140-199 mg/dL
- Previous diagnosis of Gestational Diabetes
WANT TO LEARN MORE? Watch the Video below to see how the class will operate and what to expect.
CHANGE IS TOUGH. WE CAN HELP.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Eating too much sugar does not cause diabetes, but being overweight is a risk factor.
- People with prediabetes may not have any symptoms.
- An estimated 86 million Americans ages 20 years and older have prediabetes. And 89% of that 86 million have NO IDEA they’re at risk!
- Experts agree that unless these adults take steps to prevent or delay type 2 diabetes, most of them will develop this disease within 10 years.
- National Institutes of Health research has shown that programs like the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program reduces the number of new cases of type 2 diabetes by 58% overall and by 71% in people over 60.
December 27 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm